If you are a big time travel freak and really want to travel with ease, use a cargo carrier for sure. A cargo carrier can make the whole journey so comfortable. But there are some disadvantages too while using a cargo carrier whether it is the rooftop one or the box shaped one.
Here are some pros and cons related to using of a car cargo carrier:
- The best part about a car cargo carrier is that it allows you to carry a lot of luggage more than what you can fit within the car’s storage space. With the use of a cargo carrier, you will be able to make more rooms for the passengers who are accompanying you. This can make your trip more pleasurable.
- If you use a rooftop cargo carrier, then you can even carry those larger items which otherwise will not fit inside the vehicle. In fact, you can eve carry your bicycles upright on the roof. Furnishing items such as mattresses can also be easily carried if they can be properly strapped down to the rack.
- There are some demerits of using a carrier. Due to the wind drag effect caused by larger items, it can affect the wind resistance of the vehicle to a great extent. This can result into the vehicle getting way poorer gas mileage.
- In case, if you use an open cargo carrier then the items can be hit by the crosswinds which will affect the stability of your vehicle. Consequently, the vehicle will tend to drift to one particular side.
- When you install the cargo rack, it might damage the paint finish of the car in the places where it is installed. The straps used can also ruin the finish if they continue to rub the finish for a long time.